Friday, June 17, 2011

So much noise...yet one voice can speak above them all.

Have you ever noticed that all over the world there are a few choice spots where people go to "get away"? "Get away from what?" you ask? There are some people in the world that are more sensitive to noise than others; most of the time it is a sensitivity to the lack of noise.

What does this blog have to do with noise being titled "Contrasting Light"? I'm going to be up front with you reader by telling you that I will make statements and ask questions that should cause you to think and reflect on societal ideals, religious teachings, social morality, political viability and your personal beliefs. Nothing I write in any post on this blog is or will be aimed toward any one individual, but may arise from interaction with a person(s).

Back to the question "What does a blog named 'Contrasting Light' have to do with noise? Noise has a way of changing from a threat to warm greeting depending on the illumination of the person or object making the noise. Light is a basic and vital element to our existence.

What makes noise around you? What makes noise in you? I am referring to your thoughts and 'mindless' activity. Can you sit in a quiet room in peace, or must you occupy yourself with movement, noise or futile thoughts?

In the middle east lived a teacher who took authoritative command over the elements of weather and sea during a violent storm. Speaking to the stormy winds and turbulent sea said, "Peace, be still." Centered in the most unnerving circumstance, surrounded by noise he said, "Peace, be still."

Do you wish at times that you could tell the noise in your life to be at peace and be still? Is this the stuff of vacations; changing one noise for another, or more noise for less?

I write this not to make a case for a silent world, but to ask how comfortable are you with silence? If you had no music albums from your favorite singer, radio to listen to your favorite station or internet tools to search for noise on the world wide web, would you go crazy?

Jesus, the teacher in the middle east I mentioned earlier, accepted silence, as well as knowing the proper time to speak out above the noise to restore the peace and stillness. I have a desire to see more people working in wisdom knowing when to speak out above the noise, restoring peace and stillness to a mad, noisy and violent world. Many people are talking and pushing for "peace", "safety" and condemning violence, which only produces more violence, unrest and danger.

The only way I see peace and stillness will be restored is to swallow my pride, say to the person I am speaking to "I apologize. You are right and I was wrong in doing... Will you please forgive me?" That will stop the stormy winds, but still leaves us to deal with the turbulent sea and torrential rain.

I made the winds allegorical to relations man to man, but the turbulent sea and torrential rains are the results of my choices which I made,  choosing to ignore the results knowing all too well that I alone was to blame. When you fear the capsizing of the ship you are in and drowning by unforgiving waves towering over you, that is when everyone I know calls on God to save them. Why do they call on God? Why should He save them? He told them what would come because of their choices. He didn't do this to them. He didn't tell them to make a bad decision.

Why do people blame God if He does not save them from their rain and waves? If God is good, why does He allow bad things to happen to good people? After all isn't this the whole situation of noise in our lives...noise "Management", "Damage control", "Sanity salvaging"?

No, noise is a reminder to me that unless, I get my pride out of the way (humility) and depend on Jesus for all of my needs (redemption) while still surrounded by noise and confusion, I will drown in the sea of my own folly.

Until next time; I leave you with your noise (thoughts).

No comments: